TV Documentary

The next part of this blog discusses what I did and learnt from the TV documentary module at Birmingham City University.

This module’s final piece was to create a documentary from what we learnt over the 6 weeks in the workshops. The process was a long one discussing various techniques that are used in the TV documentary genre including narrative, interviews shots and look but one of the most useful parts was the discussion on documentaries that were being shown throughout the 6 weeks on television.

We looked at Body-shock documentaries, pieces about subcultures of society and expiatory documentaries about life as a student. Each one really followed a theme in which a presenter or voice over artist introduced a situation and was taken over by the action of the subject or theme. This process of making a documentary would be beneficial to making our final piece.

But now the DS tasks…

The only real DS taks of note (or that I can show you) is the tutorial video that was made in which we practised we camera and shooting techniques to make a short instructional video in which we explained how a tripod was put together.

The video link is below….

This video was filmed on the trusty warehouse of the 650D, graded slightly in Adobe Lightroom to bring out the shadows and mids about more and then edited (by myself) on Premier Pro. The video would take the premise of voice describing the action on screen. This was a process that had been discussed in the workshops prior to the filming. The audio was captured on the 650D and added to the edit later.

The title sequence that we used was created by myself in After Effects using a plugin called Sure Target which uses null layers to focus on the words in a 3D sequence. This process could be done manually but it would take along time to produce. The final video was praised for it’s simplicity and the choice of shots especially the pull focus in which extending the legs was described.

I enjoyed making all aspects of this video and think it is testament to the methods that I have learnt over the years in education.

 

Advertisements

Music Promotion Part 2

Next part in this franchise I call Music Promotion.

The next part was to finally do a music video. As you may or may not know, I currently work for a record called BlocBeatz (http://www.blocbeatz.com). I convinced them to firstly give us an artist to do a music video for and tie it into a cross media piece where a clothing brand would be promoted. The clothing brand was Disorder Boutique and they would provide t-shiorts for all talent to wear.

http://www.disorderboutique.com

The shoot would just cover a basic amount of shots and we would try to create a ‘glitch effect’ that would match the music in post. This glitch effect would be achieved mainly by the Plugin – Twitch which is available for free at Video Co-Pilot. The rest of the effects would be added afterwards in post giving the video a pulse which matched the house music beat. All the permissions slips were signed and the location was released for our use. The custard factory has great graffiti backdrops and I would love to speak to the artists to see if I could do a time-lapse video of them painting.

Problems we had was the lack of involvement from the artist and model as in that they would not act any scene. So we were reliant on the post to make the video interesting. The camera used was my trusty 650D through a 18-50mm lens on a tripod, with the tripod being used as a steady cam when the walking and pans shots were filmed.

The result…

Things I would do again,

I would think more a concept for this video and hopefully add additions of a different scene but the artist and model were not available for any other shoots. This would make the video more interesting and have a different point of reference after the slow 360 pans.

and so concludes the franchise of Music Promo.

What happened over summer?

The times I had over summer were a maniac time. No activities of fun until I started filming. Work, WOrk, and added work.

When that came to an end, the next step on the timelapse journey took me to Kettering in which I took several photos graphs to make a video. Well, saying that now, no one would give me permission (which was rubbish)  and the only ones who would give me permission were Wicksteed Park. So this is the timelapse video I did for them. The whole thing was shot on my Canon 650D and I took 2000 photos.

Next I used Lightroom to colorgrade and photoshop to arrange them into sequences to create the timelapse .mov’s. I am happy to a point and this only proved to me a few things.

Firstly, the time between each shot is dependent on the speed of the subject and sometimes doing 1 shot a sec isn’t fast enough. Next time I will do 4fps depending on what I am shooting.

I plan now to do the same in Birmingham and continue on the the journey to a BA Hons.

Since being back at university, I have a few jobs on the go. Editing for SPGTV, Bloc Beatz and Student services but I want to get into an internship. I will keep you posted.